Getting a new hairstyle can be a daunting experience, because what if it goes wrong and you end up with something disastrous! You'd have to be pretty bold to switch your hairstyle up to something completely different, and you'd have to be bolder still to try out red hair. It's bright, it's daring, and when you walk into a room, you know everyone's going to be looking at you. Check out our tips for aspiring redheads!
Should you go red?If at least two of the following statements describe you, go ahead!
- Your skin is pink-toned. According to celebrity hair colourists and as well as hairdresser to the world's most famous red head, Julia Roberts, if your skin is pink or cool toned, red hair will look stunning on you. That's not to say that if you have golden or olive skin you won't look beautiful, you'll just have to search harder for ‚Äúyour‚Äù shade.
- You're vivacious. Red hair is attention-grabbing, so you have to be confident enough to deal with the stares you're going to get. Lindsay Lohan's former hair colourist, Sarah Gold, considers red hair to be like a sequined dress - it enters the room before you.
- You have healthy hair. If you have dry or damaged hair, you will find that the red fades off pretty quickly. Take good care of your hair; deep-condition it weekly, try to avoid applying heat to it and trim it regularly.
- Wash your hair less. Try to bring it down to twice a week. If your hair is very oily or fine, wash it every other day. If you still feel like your hair is greasy, rinse it with lukewarm water or spray some dry shampoo on your roots.
- Use mild shampoos. Harsh shampoos, such as dandruff shampoos, are too strong for coloured hair. It can cause red hair to fade prematurely by weeks!
- Get a little extra dye. Buy a small amount of hairdye from your hairdresser and apply it 2 weeks after the original dyeing to keep your hair looking fresh.
- Protection! The sun can cause red hair to fade faster, so be sure to use UV protection on your hair, or wear a hat.
What should you do about makeup?
- Avoid dark, smoky eyes. The red hair is attention-grabbing enough!
- Go pink. Shades of pink go amazingly with red hair.
- Your brows and hair shouldn't match. Don't colour your brows in red.